Within an hour drive of Tybee Island, you will find that there are over 20 championship golf courses to play. These are some of the best courses in Georgia and South Carolina. Each one promises something for players of all skill levels!
In this article, I’ll look at the top 20 golf courses near Tybee Island, Georgia. The majority are in either Savannah or Hilton Head. At the end of each section, you’ll find a table that conveniently summarizes the information and links to these sites.
Golf Courses Near Tybee Island in Savannah, Georgia: 7 Best
The historic city of Savannah is 17.5 miles from Tybee Island and has seven amazing golf courses to choose from. Five are open to the public and two are members-only course. I’ll go into a little more detail about each below.
The Club at Savannah Harbor
Located on Hutchinson Island, this course has unparalleled views of historic downtown Savannah. Designed by Robert Cupp, this 18-hole championship course winds along the Georgia tidal marshes.
There are stunning views of wildlife alongside the Georgia Low Country and Savannah River.
In addition to the breathtaking course, there are a host of amenities:
- Clubhouse. This 20,000 square foot clubhouse is worth the visit, even if you aren’t there to play golf. Check out the Pro Shop, spa, and restaurant.
- Heavenly Spa by Westin. Services include massages, exfoliating scrubs, cupping, facials, and manicures & pedicures.
- Legends Bar & Grille. Enjoy delicious seafood and American cuisine at their on-site restaurant!
- Private dining and meeting areas. Includes a boardroom for meetings and conferences.
- Group events
- Golf Lessons
Bacon Park Golf Course
Bacon Park Golf Course is one of the state’s premier public golf courses! It’s owned and operated by the City of Savannah.
There are two courses to choose from. The Donald Ross Course is 18-holes and an original Donald Ross layout. The Legends nine-hole course is named after some of the park’s legendary characters and promises a unique experience.
Together, the Donald Ross and Legends Course make a 27-hole facility!
Down the road, you’ll find the Bacon Park Tennis Courts and Savannah Botanical Gardens. At $22 for an 18-hole game, the price is hard to beat and the most affordable on the list!
Crosswinds Golf Club
Crosswinds Golf Club is a short drive from downtown Savannah. With a parkland style design, this par 72 course is good for golfers of all skill levels. Additional amenities include:
- Golf Academy. Group, private, and corporate lessons.
- Dining. Grille 19 is located in the clubhouse and offers salads, burgers, and sandwiches.
- Special Occasions. Full golf facility available for group events and weddings.
Mary Calder Golf Club
Established in 1937, the Mary Calder Golf Course has all the characteristics of an old southern golf course! The strategically placed bunkers and crisp fairways are welcoming to every level of golfer.
After you check out this par 70 course, check out the shop, and chipping and putting areas!
Henderson Golf Club
Henderson Golf Club is located in Chatham County, Georgia. It’s one of the most classic-looking public courses in the area. Live oaks, magnolia trees, and Spanish moss are all around this wetlands area.
This course is geared towards the advanced golfer with high levels of accuracy. After a game, you can enjoy historic Savannah food in the Henderson Cafe.
The Landings Club
The Landings Club is members-only. However, it’s worth mentioning since it has six championship golf courses! Arnold Palmer designed two courses himself.
- Marshwood Course: Arnold Palmer
- Magnolia Course: Arnold Palmer
- Terrapin Point Course: Willard C. Byrd
- Palmetto Course: Arthur Hills
- Oakridge Course: Arthur Hills
- Deer Creek Course: Tom Fazio
Located on Skiddaway Island, the Landings Club 12 miles from downtown Savannah. After members enjoy a game of golf, there are a host of other activities and amenities.
- 31 Tennis Courts
- 11 Pickleball Courts
- 8 Bocce Ball Courts
- 5 Pools
- Wellness Center & On Staff Massage Therapists
- 7 Restaurants
Savannah Country Club – Wilmington Island Club
The Wilmington Island Club is located within the Savannah Country Club. Only available to members, the golf course is a Donald Ross design that presents a strong challenge.
In addition to the golf course, you’ll find 6 tennis courts, a ballroom, athletic facilities, a club pool, and dining area.
|Savannah Golf Courses||Public Access||Cost for 18 Hole Game||Google Reviews||Website & Phone Number|
|Club at Savannah Harbor||Yes||N/A||/ 320+ reviews||Link Here|
|Bacon Park Golf Club||Yes||$22||/ 380+||Link Here|
|Crosswinds Golf Club||Yes||$49 – $69||/ 340+ reviews||Link Here|
|Mary Calder Golf Club||Yes||$36||/ 130+||Link Here|
|Henderson Golf Club||Yes||$35 – $39||/ 170+||Link Here|
|The Landings Club||No||See Membership Fees||/ 45+||Link Here|
|Savannah Country Club – Wilmington Island Club||No||See Membership Fees||N/A||Link Here|
Golf Courses Near Tybee Island in Hilton Head Island, SC
Hilton Head Island is a 50-mile drive from Tybee Island and has 23 championship golf courses. I’ll go into a little more detail about the top 13 below.
Harbour Town Golf Links
Harbour Town Golf Links is located at The Sea Pines Resort. Home of the RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing, this 18-hole championship course boasts a new irrigation system, along with Celebration and TifEagle Bermuda grass.
Designed by Pete Dye, the course is consistently ranked by Golf Magazine as one of the best courses in the United States.
Heritage Golf Collection Courses – Shipyard, Port Royal, Oyster Reef
The Heritage Golf Collection consists of three separate courses on Hilton Head Island.
1. Shipyard Golf Club. Shipyard has three 9-hole courses. Each one presents something unique and all have Diamond Zoysia grass.
- The Clipper Course is the longest and the most challenging because of the sand and water hazards.
- The Brigantine Course requires accuracy and an excellent short game, as it winds along a lagoon. It is the shortest of the three.
- The Galleon Course is the oldest of the three and was designed by George W. Cobb. Shady oaks and tall pine trees are found throughout.
2. Oyster Reef Golf Club. Designed by Rees Jones, Oyster Reef is a favorite among local South Carolinians. Winding along the Lowcountry landscape, the course is a challenge to golfers of all skill levels.
Their golf course concierge service is well-worth exploring too.
3. Port Royal Golf & Racquet Club. Located at the scenic Port Royal Plantation, there are two golf course options. This club shares space with the Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa as well.
- The Barony Course. This is one of the first courses created on Hilton Head Island
- Robber’s Row Course. Rich in history, you’ll find historical markers that describe events that happened during the American Civil War on Hilton Head Island. The course was designed by George Cobb and Willard Byrd and then redesigned by the acclaimed Pete Dye.
Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run
The Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run was designed by Jack Niklaus. This Par 72 course has a 128 slope and requires a strategic game given the heavy sand and water hazards.
Affordable golf lessons are available for individuals and groups. Four one-hour lessons will only cost you $160!
Palmetto Hall Plantation Club Golf Course
Although Palmetto Hall is a country club, the two golf courses are open to the public.
- Arthur Hills Course. Opened in 1991 with a slope of 139 and a 73.8 course rating.
- Robert Cupp Course. Opened in 1993 with a slope of 143 and a 75 course rating.
Visit their website to see the closest Tee Time and to book!
Country Club of Hilton Head
The golf course at the Country Club of Hilton Head is members-only. The course was designed by Rees Jones and is located by Skull Creek.
A memorable feature is this course has the highest point of elevation on Hilton Head Island. It’s a par 72 with a 138 slope, and well worth checking out!
Palmetto Dunes Golf Courses
Palmetto Dunes is a luxury golf resort on Hilton Head Island. Rent a home or villa for the weekend and explore the three miles of beachfront.
There are three golf courses to choose from at Palmetto Dunes Golf.
- Robert Trent Jones Course. Breathtaking ocean views that wind along a lagoon.
- George Fazio Course. Only par 70 course on Hilton Head and incredibly challenging.
- Arthur Hills Course. Home of college golf tournaments played by legends like Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods.
And if you’re staying at the Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort, this would be the convenient place to play a game of golf!
|Open to Public||Cost to Play 18-hole game||Google Reviews||Website & Phone Number|
|Harbour Town Golf Links||Yes||$335+||/ 630+ Reviews||Link Here|
|Heritage Golf Collection||Yes||$45 – $165 (all rates found here)||/ 50+||Link Here|
|Golden Bear Golf Club at Indigo Run||Yes||$55 – $125||/ 230+||Link Here|
|Palmetto Hall Plantation Club Golf Course||Yes||$70 – $115||/ 170+||Link Here|
|Country Club of Hilton Head||No||*See Membership Rates||/ 120+||Link Here|
|Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort||Yes||$139 – $189 (*see website for all rates)||/ 490+||Link Here|
The Hallmark Golf Experience in Bluffton, SC
Bluffton, SC is a one-hour drive from Tybee Island and has three championship golf courses that are open to the public at the Hallmark Golf Experience: Crescent Point, Eagle’s Point, and Rose Hill Golf Clubs.
For those looking to improve their swing, Alex Fortey has created a course called The Art of Simple Golf thatâ€™s worth checking out for seniors looking to improve their swing.
You can also find good deals on Callaway Strata full sets on Amazon like this one that are worth checking out.
If you’re interested in golfing up in the North Georgia Mountains, check out this article too!