Columbus is the second largest city in the State of Georgia and is home to the United States Military Base Fort Benning. Whether you are looking for the perfect place for a day trip or nearby real estate to purchase, I’ve compiled a helpful list of places near city of Columbus.
In this article, I’ll look at the towns and cities near Columbus, GA, while also discussing some local attractions.
Towns & Cities Within a 10-Mile Radius of Columbus, GA
The closest city to Columbus, GA is Phenix City, Alabama, which is 5.11 miles away. The second closest city to Columbus is Smiths Station, Alabama at 9.17 miles.
The two closest towns and cities to Columbus are located across the banks of the Chattahoochee River in the state of Alabama.
- Phenix City, AL – 5.11 miles (8.22 km)
- Smiths Station, AL – 9.17 miles (14.76 km)
10 Closest Georgia Towns & Cities to Columbus, GA
The ten closest towns and cities in Georgia average an 18.79-mile distance and 31-minute drive from Columbus, GA.
- Fort Benning
- Waverly Hall
- Box Springs
- Pine Mountain Valley
- Pine Mountain
10 Alabama Towns & Cities Closest to Columbus, GA
The ten closest towns and cities in Alabama average a 23.24-mile distance and 35-minute drive from Columbus, GA.
- Phenix City
- Smiths Station
- Fort Mitchell
All Towns & Cities Within a 50-mile Radius of Columbus, GA
There are 33 towns and cities that are within a fifty-mile radius of Columbus, GA. These places average a 28.73-mile and 42-mile drive from the center of Columbus.
These are straight line distances on the map, and mileage may vary slightly when driving on the road.
13 of the nearest towns and cities are in Alabama, with the remaining 20 located in Georgia.
- Phenix City, AL – 5.11 miles
- Smiths Station, AL – 9.17 miles
- Fort Benning, GA – 11.32 miles Â (*military base and major employer in the area)
- Fortson, GA – 11.72 miles
- Fort Mitchell, AL -12.26 miles
- Cataula, GA – 13.82 miles
- Seale, AL – 14.89 miles
- Ellerslie, GA – 16.31 miles
- Upatoi, GA – 16.49 miles
- Cusseta, GA – 17.92 miles
- Pittsview, AL – 22.02 miles
- Waverly Hall, GA – 22.27 miles
- Box Springs, GA – 24.79 miles
- Opelika, AL – 25.12 miles
- Pine Mountain Valley, GA – 25.51 miles
- Pine Mountain, GA – 27.79 miles
- Hurtsboro, AL – 29.28 miles
- Lumpkin, GA – 30.66 miles
- Mauk, GA – 32.09 miles
- Talbotton, GA – 32.4 miles
- Lanett, AL – 33.82 miles
- Lagrange, GA – 37.98 miles
- Eufaula, AL – 39.9 miles
- Tuskegee, AL – 40.82 miles
- Ellaville, GA – 41.59 miles
- Notasulga, AL – 41.7 miles
- Tuskegee Institute, AL – 42.75 miles
- Union Springs, AL – 44.95 miles
- Thomaston, GA – 47.57 miles
- Ideal, GA – 47.77 miles
- Cuthbert, GA – 49.56 miles
- Molena, GA – 49.86 miles
- Hogansville, GA – 49.96 miles
If you’re going to take a roadtrip to one of these towns, prep with some of these roadtrip essentials to make the trip easier on you.
Distance & Drive Time from Columbus, GA to Nearby Destinations
How far is Atlanta, GA from Columbus, GA?
Columbus, GA is 108 miles from Atlanta, GA via Interstate-85 North, which takes 1 hour and 43-minutes to drive.
How far is Columbus, GA from the Atlanta Airport?
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is 99 miles away and a 1.5-hour drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far is Columbus, GA from Albany, GA?
Albany, GA is 86.2 miles away and a 1.5-hour drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far is Columbus, GA from Warner Robins, GA?
Warner Robins, GA is 89 miles away and a 1-hour and 45-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far is Columbus, GA from Savannah, GA?
Savannah, GA is 247 miles away and a 4-hour drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far is Columbus, GA from Lumpkin, GA?
Lumpkin, GA is 36.3 miles away and 38-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far away is Fort Benning from Columbus, GA?
Fort Benning, GA is a 20-minuted drive from downtown Columbus, GA.
How far away is Callaway Gardens from Columbus, GA?
Callway Gardens is 33.8 miles away and 47-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far away is Warm Springs from Columbus,GA?
Warm Springs, GA is 39.3 miles away and 48-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far away is Montgomery, AL from Columbus, GA?
Montgomery is 82.8 miles away and a 1-hour and 25-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far away is Birmingham, AL from Columbus, GA?
Birmingham is 143 miles away and a 2-hour and 50-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
How far away is Augusta, GA from Columbus, GA?
Augusta is 247 miles away and a 3-hour and 45-minute drive from Columbus, Georgia.
The 6 Counties within a 25-Mile Radius of Columbus, GA Listed by Population Size
- Muscogee County (GA): 205,617 people
- Russell County (AL): 58,722 people
- Harris County (GA): 35,626 people
- Chattahoochee County (GA): 9,048 people
- Marion County (GA): 7,440 people
- Talbot County (GA): 5,742 people
Some Basic Information about Columbus, GA
Columbus, Georgia is the county seat of Muscogee County and sits on Georgia’s western border with Alabama. Fort Benning is 11 miles southeast of downtown Columbus and is approximately a 20-minute drive.
What is the Nickname for Columbus, GA?
Columbus’ nickname is The Fountain City. This name comes from the unique fountains that are found throughout the city.
Time Zones in Columbus, GA: Eastern Standard vs Central Time Zones
Columbus, GA is in the Eastern Standard Time Zone. However, once you cross the Chattahoochee River into Alabama, are in the Central Time Zone, which is one hour behind Eastern Standard Time.
What are Some Local Attractions in Columbus Worth Visiting?
- National Infantry Museum
- Coca-Cola Space Science Center
- Home of Columbus State University
- Chattahoochee Riverwalk
- Columbus Performing Arts Center
- Columbus Museum of Art – strong focus on local and American Art
- Port Columbus – National Civil War Naval Museum
- Christmas Made in the South: Arts & Crafts Festival